The Foundation Center’s report showed there were 86,192 foundations with an aggregate $715 billion in assets. Here is how that breaks down:
- Independent foundations control 82% of the assets ($584 billion) and gave 68% of the 2012 $52 billion total, or $35.4 billion.
- Community foundations made up only 1% of the total number of foundations but had 9% of the assets and gave 10% of the total dollars.
- Health and education led the way as the top focuses for grants, at $5 billion and 22% of total giving each. Grants for human services accounted for the highest number of grants, at 42,037. The median grant amount was $30,000. Some 58,000 organizations worldwide received these grants, but nearly half of the $22.4 billion went to 1%of the recipients.
- Internationally, health was the greatest focus for grants, with $2.2 billion going overseas for health causes. International development and disaster relief organizations received $1.2 billion. The Gates Foundation, which gave $2.6 billion internationally in 2012, has been the top international funder since 2004. The Switzerland-based World Health Organization was the top recipient of international grant dollars in 2012.
Those gains were posted against strong headwinds. Government support declined 5.6% and investment income was down 6.26%. Nonprofits compensated by leveraging “other revenue”—that which comes from sources outside the nonprofits core mission—to post a 20.5% gain. The larger category of ‘program revenue’ was up 2.19% for the same period.
Download the Reports
You can download a PDF version of Foundation Center’s Key Facts on U.S. Foundations report here. A copy of the Nonprofit Times’ 2014 NPT Top 100 report can be found here.